Diabetes Management Made Affordable! Unveiling the Hidden Benefits of Medicare!
Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (T2DM) is a common chronic condition that requires ongoing management and care. The Australian Medicare Benefit Scheme offers valuable support for individuals with T2DM. It provides access to exercise physiology services aimed at assessing suitability for group services and group services themselves. In this blog, we will explore the benefits of these services and how they can contribute to the management and improvement of your diabetes.
Assessing Suitability for Group Services (Item Code: 81110):
One of the key benefits of the Medicare Benefit Scheme is the assessment provided by eligible exercise physiologists for individuals with T2DM. This assessment involves a comprehensive patient history, identification of an appropriate group services program based on the patient’s needs, and preparing the individual for group services. To be eligible for this assessment, the following criteria must be met:
- You have type 2 diabetes.
- You are being managed by a medical practitioner under a shared team care plan.
- You are referred to an eligible exercise physiologist by the medical practitioner using a referral form provided by the Department of Health.
- The service is provided individually, in person, and lasts at least 45 minutes.
- The exercise physiologist provides a written report to the referring medical practitioner
- Medicare benefits are claimed for the service.
Group Services for T2DM Management (Item Code: 81115):
Once assessed as suitable for group services, individuals can access Medicare-covered group services delivered by eligible exercise physiologists. These group services are designed specifically for the management of type 2 diabetes. The following criteria apply to qualify for these services:
- You have been assessed as suitable for a type 2 diabetes group service under the relevant assessment item code.
- The service is provided in a small group setting of 2 to 12 patients.
- The class is run by an accredited exercise physiologist and lasts for at least 60 minutes.
- The exercise physiologist maintains an attendance record for the group and provides a written report to the referring medical practitioner after the last session in the group program.
The Medicare Benefit Scheme provides valuable support for individuals with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, offering access to exercise physiology services for assessment and participation in group services. These services play a crucial role in managing T2DM, promoting physical activity, and improving overall health and wellbeing. By taking advantage of these benefits, individuals with T2DM can enhance their journey towards better health outcomes.
If you believe you meet the criteria for these services, consult your medical practitioner to discuss your eligibility and obtain a referral to an eligible exercise physiologist.
Book now with one of our EPs – https://themovementmill.janeapp.com.au/book
Or contact us – https://themovementmill.com.au/contact-us/